Monday, March 12, 2012

To Blend or To Shine?



The kiddos and I did a science experiment (again from our favorite The Everything Kids' Science Experiments Book) studying God's neat design of camouflage in animals. We were learning how the eye notices contrast in colors more quickly than similar colors blended together. To put this to the test, we cut up three different sheets of construction paper into small squares (blue, purple, and orange.) One kiddo would place the three different colored squares on a large piece of blue construction paper, while the other was blindfolded. Once ready, the blindfold came off and that child would have five seconds to pick up as many squares as they could. Each time we tested this, the kiddos picked the orange and purple squares over the blue. So it proved true, thier eyes gravitated toward the squares that were of different color instead of the blue that blended with the background.

We discussed several examples of animals that have the ability to naturally camouflage themselves and blend in with their surroundings. We discussed how this helps protect them from their predators and helps them hunt their prey for food. I told them that God has a different idea for us as His children. He tells us in Matthew 5:14-16, "You are the light of the world...let your light shine before others." One of our favorite songs went along great with this lesson. "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...."

I encourage you to take the time and do this little experiment. The kids will love preparing the materials (getting to use scissors is ALWAYS a big event in this house) and they will love seeing the outcome of the experiment. It is a simple way to explain how God designed some animals with the ability to blend, but more importantly about His plan for us to contrast the world and SHINE!



2 comments:

  1. I must admit that I admire you so much as a mother! You have that natural ability to turn anything into a lesson on God and His nature! :) Are you giving tutorials?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you inspired me to quit procrastinating and finally start blogging. Thank you for that!

    My favorite verse throughout Deuteronomy is for us to teach the Lord's commands to our children, talking about them when we sit at home, when we walk down the road, when we lie down and when we get up. That is my focus and when I look (and every day life doesn't distract me!), He gives me the opportunities and vision to do it. I am just starting out, but I hope others can benefit from these posts.

    ReplyDelete