Friday, March 16, 2012

More Than Just Chickens


Last May, I finally dove into the world of chickens. Well more like, I tiptoed into it. We bought two little biddies for $2.50 a piece. Two itty bitty things at $5, I thought no big deal, we can do this. I knew nothing about raising chickens, but figured I would find my way.  Our children's librarian actually had chickens, so she helped me immensely. I knew if all else failed, I could always call my 90 year old Mama Du, because she knows everything. She was my Google before Google existed. So we set out with our two little chicks named Aunt B, a Buff Orpington and Aunt D, a Red Ameraucana.

I have to say those first few weeks were so fun. It was amazing to see the natural instincts God designed in these little creatures. If anything even remotely sounded like a hawk, they took cover. We saw the whole pecking order business, as Aunt B took the dominant role. Their personalities were so inquisitive and fun. We would just sit out in the grass in the evenings and let them hop on our legs and shoulders. They were exploring us just as much as we were exploring them.

After six long months of anxiously waiting, we had our first egg. I had looked out the back door to see only one girl. I knew something was different, because they never separated. I went out to find Aunt D making her nest. I have to say watching her build her nest and lay an egg for the first time was just amazing. I realize some, including my husband, will never have the same enthusiasm as I did, but it was probably the neatest thing I have ever seen. I love to see God's very specific and detailed design in his creation and this was it! She carefully moved the twigs and leaves around building her nest. She moved around until things were just so and then after a few minutes...there was the prettiest blue egg I ever did see. Actually, it was the first blue egg I had ever seen. The kids were just as excited as I was, because they had a new chore of gathering eggs. Eventually, Aunt B finally started laying her beautiful extra-large, brown eggs and since then we have been thanking God for his provision of eggs everyday.

The reason I share all of this, is that I think this has been an awesome opportunity for the kids (and myself) to watch one of God's creations grow and start fulfilling its purpose. It is through that purpose, that He is providing for our family. Most days when they bring in the eggs, we try to stop and acknowledge where those eggs comes from and offer thanks. We live in a country where most of us have food to eat beyond three meals a day. It is easy to take that for granted and forget just what a blessing it is to even have food. It is a gracious cycle, God provides for His plant and animal creation and through His creation, He provides for us. Here are some Psalms of praise I love:

When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?
You made him ruler over the works of your hands;
you put everything under his feet:
all flocks and herds, and the beasts of the field,
the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea, all that swim the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.
Psalm 8:3, 4, 6-9

These all look to you to give them their food at the proper time.
When you give it to them, they gather it up; 
when you open your hand, they are satisfied with good things.
Psalm 104: 27-28        

So while we started out getting two little biddies for $5, we have gotten so much more out of this experience. The best part is it isn't over yet. We now have a rooster (pictured above with Aunt B. We still have no name, so feel free to offer one.) and will hopefully begin the reproductive process. I will use it as a science experiment to explore God's creation, so be on the look out. Yet again, I have absolutely NO clue what I am doing, but I know we are going to get there! After all, it is His creation. We just have to sit back and enjoy the beauty of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment