Friday, March 23, 2012

Living Books- The Story of Ferdinand


This week, I am sharing one of my husband's favorite living books, The Story of Ferdinand. I never grew up reading this book like my husband did. It actually wasn't until I was 31 that I read it for the first time. I sometimes believe I enjoy reading these books just as much as the kiddos do. Regardless of your age or your childrens' ages, this book is a sweet reminder that it is ok to be different.

Summary: Ferdinand is a young bull who enjoys sitting quietly under a cork tree and smelling the flowers. He does not want to partake in the rowdy activities with the other bulls. He grows up and remains the same. He does not desire to go to the bull fights in Madrid like the other bulls. By chance or a bee sting to be exact, he ends up in the bull fights in Madrid. Even there, against the pressures to perform, he remains true to himself.

Lessons: There is one main lesson in this book: it is ok to be who God made you to be! Even if you are different from those around you, that is ok. This is an important lesson to teach our children, especially when they have so many external pressures to conform to this world. It is an equally important lesson for us as parents. We should accept our children as they are. We do not need to compare them to other children or their siblings. We have to embrace them as they are. That in turn, will help them embrace themselves and have confidence to face the world and live out the purpose God designed for them.  

This book also presents a great opportunity for a geography lesson on Madrid, Spain.

Bible Parallel: God had a purpose for Moses to lead His chosen people out from Egypt. Moses did not have the confidence that he could do this, one reason because he was not a good speaker. God showed Moses that He would be with him and use him.

Verse Parallel: This was the verse on my oldest child's birth announcement. It is one of my favorite reminders that God makes no mistakes and designed us to His perfection.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139: 13-16

No comments:

Post a Comment